What's new in Music Collaboration

There has never been a time when music collaboration has been so easy. In the privacy of your own home. You don't have to lug your gear anywhere. I wish we always had this.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Regrets and the Bucket List

There has been a lot of talk about these so called bucket lists lately. Things that you must include on your bucket list. I think the point has been missed.  Perhaps appropriate and inappropriate regrets makes more sense. I should have nailed that man or woman? A terrible inappropriate regret. How about travel? Must we see every site with our own eyes? I'm not crazy about traveling. For myself, I like to have some reason to go. I want to retire in a place where me and my buddies work on custom cars all day and have rock/blues jam sessions all night. That is a place want to see.
I think a regret for me would be never owning a Gibson Les Paul. I have been shopping for years. I know a lot about them. The finish, the choice of pickups, accessories. If I had $4k-$20k sitting cold in a bank it probably wouldn't be an issue. I know I will probably only have one. So I entertain myself by trying to get the best value I can. It's getting close. 
I saw a youtube video the other day. This eight year old girl was shredding a guitar better than Eddie Van Halen and I almost gave up playing. Then I saw an older youtube of her's and I realized I play about as well as this child when she was about seven. Not a whole lot more encouraging. But this thought of quitting has disturbed me. Why would I do such a thing? Why would I even think of it? I didn't start to play to compete with her. I have done my own thing with music every day since I started. I have been taught almost nothing. I have had little contact with musicians over the years. My interest must literally sustain itself and that's OK. 
I seems to come back to the old expression that says it's not the destination, it's the journey. Now the journey is a big question I will dig into at a future post because there is a lot of places you don't need to go. Put some thought into where you want to go. I believe you will find it's as much of a philosophical journey as physical travel. The Americans call it the pursuit of happiness. 

No comments: